Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Coming Of Age

In mid June 1967 I heard the U.S. President, Lyndon Johnson, say on the radio that America would guarantee the sovereignty of all of the nations in the Middle East. I felt so relieved that I told my husband, “You see! America knows what’s right and you heard what the president said. He wouldn’t say it if he didn’t mean it!” It took me some time before I accepted the fact that President Johnson’s words were lies and that my country had no intention of protecting the sovereignty of any nation in the Middle East except Israel’s. This is when I became of age politically – not by growing up but by being yanked up - into a reality based on a profound betrayal by my own country. American administrations had begun their policy of blind support for Israel while mouthing principles they had no intention of applying.

This coming of age happened when I lived in Jerusalem, newly occupied by Israel. Curfews terrified me since I had small children who might require emergency care. Armed settlers set up road blocks within the West Bank, searched my car, and otherwise held me hostage while they exercised their “illegal?” powers. Police stopped me if I ventured beyond the West Bank since the license plate on my car began with special numbers that announced the presence of an “unwanted and threatening Arab.” During the many times I crossed the bridge I suffered humiliating strip searches and disrespect for my person and my belongings at the hands of the Israeli authorities. I worried about my children’s safety when they traveled to school and even while they were in school. All of this was before the first Intifada in 1989 - before the existence of the WALL and the uncountable examples of even more severe mass punishment against the Palestinian people.

I cannot forget my feelings of helplessness, confusion, and anger at Israel for treating me and my family as lesser human beings. I will never forgive the policies of this state which conscientiously harass, harm, humiliate, and discriminate against Arabs and others who are not Jews. If I harbor such feelings after 40 years, what about the Palestinians and Lebanese who are suffering death and inhuman treatment today? How can any Israeli or supporter of Israel in their right minds expect that it has a future in the region? How will Israel be able to live in peace and honor in the Middle East with a history of 60 years of brutality towards its neighbors - destroying lives, livelihoods, property, and hope?
ASH

2 Comments:

Blogger omar said...

WOW

You sharing these painful memories and describing the extremely bad experience you had is really touching. And I hope people who are aware of the fact that Palestine has been going under such terrible opression would spread out the word because I know for sure there are people in the US who think Arabs walk around with 'special' belts on their waists.

See? the ANGER? How would you not expect a 'terroirst resistance' within a country. Witnessing YOUR OWN LAND being ripped off, and you getting humiliated and they're expecting us to nod our 'rag-heads'?

very powerful post...

Tuesday, August 01, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Grama!
Its Shereen and Rawan. We liked your article. We love you!!!!




Monday, August 07, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home