Sunday, March 18, 2007

we waste so much

Attending a very nice lunch for charity the other day I was watching the waiters clearing away the plates which were still full of food and thought what must they think, they probably go home to a family who can hardly afford any kind of food, yet at their place of work they see huge amounts of food just thrown away.

I remember my mother telling me many, many years ago 'eat everything on your plate, just think of all the children starving in China', and here we are now, a generation who throws away so much. I find it really upsetting. T

4 Comments:

Blogger HJ said...

If only there was a non profit project where food wasted can be collected from restaurants and hotels and served to the poor, particularly children.

It breaks my heart to see children who sometimes beg not for money but for food because they hadn't eaten for days.

Monday, March 19, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I am a very bad hostess from a Jordanian point of view, as I so rarely urge guests to 'try this or that' and add to their already well filled plates with food I know will most likely not be eaten. And that is why I also struggle with my weight here as I find it difficult to leave anything.

Friday, March 23, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Friday,

When you wrote 'food wasted can be collected', what does that exactly mean?

Half a hamburger/pizza for example?

Monday, March 26, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would imagine that Friday means unspoilt food. So many bread rolls and cakes and pies are often untouched. Surely this sort of thing can be passed on without too much problem. And although half a hamburger maybe unappetising ( although it is amazing what hungry people will eat ) there is not much wrong with half a pizza.

Wednesday, April 04, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home