Saturday, May 27, 2006

Among the Celebrations in June

High school graduations are definitely on this list. Photos attached to emails from family in Ohio and California show beautiful youngsters in prom gowns and dark suits; the cap and gown pictures will follow soon. I can just imagine the issues debated before they left for their parties – the absolute deadline for returning home, the warning against the temptations of alcohol, and most importantly safety on the roads.

I never had a worry about my children’s graduations. I never had contentious arguments with them about deadlines for being home; I didn’t watch them set off for a gala evening, because they were raised in Jerusalem under Israeli occupation. There were no graduation celebrations as I knew them. My concerns for their safety centered on their getting to and from school uninjured. No one could protect them from a hidden bomb or the rough treatment (or worse) from an Israeli soldier. Even inside their schools they weren’t always safe. They could be put under siege or assaulted by a tear gas canister lobbed into their crowded classrooms. Children from the age of 16 are considered to be security risks by the occupying power. I didn’t have to argue about deadlines for returning home – I had curfews. Amazingly, I never felt very sorry for their missing out on proms and parties because they didn’t know such celebrations existed. They didn’t know what they were missing. I did, however, and it made me sad; it still makes me sad.

But that time is past; we are no longer in Jerusalem. We are the lucky ones; our losses were confined to only one generation. After nearly 40 years of occupation children of two generations or more have never known the freedom to celebrate their graduations from high school the way we do in Jordan and in the west. In fact, celebrations of any kind seem frivolous when compared to the harsh realities of a brutal occupation in Palestine. Just going to school is luxury not a right. Now the children of Iraq are in the same situation. I wonder how many generations of Iraqi children will be denied the rights and pleasures of childhood.

ASH

2 Comments:

Blogger moi said...

We might imagine that they are missing out on these types of events that many enjoy in tranquility across the world. However, their harsh experiences at a young age will surely allow them to appreciate other luxuries much more than other kids their age. It will inevitably make them stronger. Enjoyed reading this post :)

Saturday, May 27, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its too bad mom didnt have a prom. I get to go to three if i wanted. If i could, id give one up for her, but no time machine is here for that to happen. I guess everything happens for a reason.. who knows. maybe it was for the better.




Love you Grama!

Wednesday, May 31, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home