Friday, June 16, 2006

Sunday in my garden


Sunday today, woke up early and had my tea in the garden. The sun was shining, the air was crisp, and the sky was blue. Shame about the incessant noise from the jack hammers removing the mountain along the Wadi Sakra Road. However, as we sat and admired the wilderness I have for a garden, I was pleasantly surprised by the variety of birds that came to pay us a visit, the bulbul, the pigeons, the sparrows ..... And then wonder of wonders, a Palestine Sunbird arrived with its mate and for a good five minutes this fluorescent blue tiny bird with the curved beak darted in and out of the bougainvillea growing alongside the house. I had only seen them before down south in Wadi Dana.

In a word, peace!

Peace from all the hassle on the roads, the lack of controls on foreign investors, the poor excuse for politicians, and the insanity of war in our midst from Asia to Africa.

…so I shall take the arrival of the Palestine Sunbirds as a good omen … and I shall let you know the outcome in due course. J

PS – next time, shall also keep my camera on hand but here's one taken in Jordan in 2005 by Duncan Dine





http://www.birder.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/Photo%20Index.htm

8 Comments:

Blogger Huttonian said...

What nice images. In my temporary abode off Rainbow street the sun birds enjoy the pot plants and the Bulbuls harmonise the Call to Prayer. Its good to be back in Amman as some posts in www.huttonian.blogspot.com will testify

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wonderful photos

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Reem said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Reem said...

What a beautiful bird.. Masha' Allah

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that a majnoneh? in the first picture?

Simply wonderful!

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Blogger Betqa said...

Beautiful pics... and interesting blog. Would any of you mind if I e-mailed you a few questions I have. The thing is, I have a decision to make by mid-July about going to live in Amman... It would be great to get some more info and the perspectives of non-Jordanians who live there.
Thanks

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

Yes Ohoud - this is a majnounah - or bourgainvillea - 25 years old and counting!

Monday, June 19, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I saw Palestinian Sunbird this morning on our front porch! It was loving the taste of our new hibiscus tree.
Thanks for mentioning it, or I never would have know what it was when I saw it.

Monday, June 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home