Monday, January 15, 2007

Our bags are packed and we're ready to go

Our bags are packed and we're ready to go…

My niece was due to be married in England on 6th January and as there was an extended holiday for New Year and Eid Al Adha it was possible for all my family to attend. Making the arrangements had been like organizing a military manoeuvre, such was the complexity of flights, hotels, car hire etc but finally, on 1st January, the remaining 4 of my five-member family, our daughter having traveled earlier to enjoy the New Year celebrations and the winter sales, arrived at the airport. My husband, 2 sons and I checked in our luggage, relieved to be rid of suitcases loaded down with clothes, wedding paraphernalia and 9 kilos of Arabic baqlaweh that my niece had requested for her reception. Armed with boarding cards and the excitement of the impending celebrations, we paid our exit duty and proceeded to Immigration where we were informed that my youngest son could not travel because he was born in 1989 and was therefore, subject to Conscription. He should have had a special permission document. You're right, I was speechless!

I had heard two weeks previously that the government was "planning" to bring back conscription but we had not been informed, as parents of a 1989 son, nor had my son been informed. There was certainly no information about what do about traveling, and inquiries made since have shown that those in authority do not even know what form this "conscription" will take.

So, what to do? It's 9.30am on 1st January, a public holiday and the middle of Eid. All offices are closed. Very dejectedly, my elder son and I passed through immigration hoping somehow, that my husband would be able to procure the "magical permission" from somewhere, and join our family reunion. If he couldn't do it for the following day, then no trip, as the flights for the rest of the week leading up to the wedding were fully booked.

Now, I love Jordan and I have made it my home, but this type of idiocy just about drives me crazy. By all means, bring in conscription, in fact, if the activities for the young men are constructive, I'll back it and will gladly send both my boys, but please do it properly.
There should have been a way of getting the permission at the airport. My son is still at school and so therefore was not "fleeing the country". Fortunately for us, we were able to get the permission that day at the cost of JD1, and my son and husband traveled to England the following day at an extra cost of JD180 on each ticket!!!

We are fortunate to have been able to cover those costs, but what of the many who cannot?
I've heard that this conscription may take place in July, August and September, but how will this affect young men starting university?

Does anyone know what's going on?!!! McM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home