Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Wadi Sha’ib

My spelling is a phonetic endeavor and doesn’t even match one of the several road signs posted along the Wadi Sha’ib road. This is the road that leaves the town of Salt and twists down into the Jordan Valley. In springtime it has to be one of the most beautiful places in the country – the steep hills and narrow valleys covered in green make a magical scene. Along this road figs, grapes, pomegranates, and lettuce glut farmers’ stalls - each in their season.

We went to the Dead Sea a few days ago and chose this route. For the first time it occurred to me that I didn’t know the meaning of the name Sha’ib. (I know Wadi means valley.) No one in the car was really sure of the answer and the speculation has left me quite curious. Apparently, the name is associated with a prophet; Jewish, Christian, or Moslem no one was sure. Or the area was used by prophets as a place of retreat. If anyone has some knowledge about Wadi Sha'ib, I would like to hear it. This ancient land has many surprises, and I have stumbled on yet another one.

ASH

2 Comments:

Blogger Mohanned said...

Hi,
I am orginally from al-salt, but now I am in chicago:)
Anyways here is a link about the topic:
http://www.answers.com/topic/shoaib

prophet Shoaib, who was the father in law of Moses and one of the descendants of Ibrahim.

Here is a list of the biblical sites:
http://www.atlastours.net/jordan/sites.html

Tuesday, March 20, 2007  
Blogger joladies said...

Dear Mohanned,

Thanks so much for the correct spelling 'Shoaib,' the information about this prophet, and the websites. You have answered my question. I have already told my husband and my daughter about your comment. We were on the right track after all.
ASH

Wednesday, March 21, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home