Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Who Owns the Streets?




I would like to know who owns the streets in Amman? I took these photos as an example of what you see all over the city. On this particular street there are signs on both sides of the road designating parking for either the Peking Restaurant or the Alqasr Hotel. “Parking attendants” are lounging around either insisting that they park your car for you, or telling you that you can’t park there unless you are going to their premise.

Can anyone tell me if this is legal and if so, who gives establishments the right to block the street to only their customers? When parking is at a premium all over the city, I think that this taking public access for personal usage is unacceptable.
kag

9 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I'm with you. I think it's unfair and a lousy way to deal with the parking problem.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed, k.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Bashar said...

According to the Municipality of Amman (MoA) it is illegal, you have the right to park your care anywhere, because it is considered a public parking, and if they told you to remove your car, you can simply call MoA so that they take action.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger joladies said...

Bashar...please give me the magic (MoA) phone number and I if necessary, I will use it!
kag

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger The Observer said...

Thanks Bashar for the info! It is unfair what they do! Next time I face a problem like this, I will warn them of calling the MOA!

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The businesses who want to have customer parking and staff them with parking attendants don't bother me so much. What really annoys me are the homeowners who decide that they don't want parking in front of their house, so they put huge rocks in the road. Those people should be fined.

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Huttonian said...

Just to let Jordanian bloggees know I have been asked to produce a second edition of'Jordan. A Hashemite Legacy'-to be published by Routledge next year and this time in paperback so a bit cheaper than the £65 for the original hardback brought out in 2001. I shall be watching these posts for pointers as to what should be included about the New Jordan

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger joladies said...

Huttonian - good luck with the second edition. You can see from our blog that it is the traffic that is the most discussed subject at the moment! T

Wednesday, June 06, 2007  
Blogger Madi said...

The thing is all stores, restaurants, companies etc.. pay yearly fees for parking and usually it's highly priced so at least they should have the right to occupy a space for a car or two for their customers disposal.
on the other hand it's really annoying, I hear you

Thursday, June 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home