Thursday, August 09, 2007

Who reads the Jordan Times?

I have been reading the Jordan Times for many, many years but have been wondering lately why do we have an English language newspaper and who reads it? Well, I imagine the readership is all foreign spouses of Jordanians, diplomats from embassies and all other foreigners working or holidaying here. So what do we want and expect? Personally I would prefer more local news. The internet is so widely used that foreign news is easily available so we do not need so many foreign stories and pictures. The opinion and analysis page could do with more of Nermeen Murad and Randa Habib who take on local happenings and comment on them. I certainly could not do without my daily dose of the crossword.

So come on JT think who your readers are and give them a Jordanian service. T

7 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

I read it.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger Madi said...

I read it, sometimes.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I only read the local news and the weekly environment page. The local news coverage, albeit short is the best in Jordanian newspapers.

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Blogger MommaBean said...

I rarely find it. Oh, and it annoys me that the classfifieds don't run there. I go through Al-Rai to see the English language ads... Too funny. I agree, if it had more local content... more content period, I'd be more likely to read it. It seems like it's 1/4 of the size of Al-Rai. I'm with you on this one!

Friday, August 10, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read it for the local news, they have all the interesting issues covered, also its usually faster just to read the whole jordantimes in 15 minutes than to spend up to an hour looking through the arabic newspapers for the same news.

Saturday, August 11, 2007  
Blogger joladies said...

mommabean - why don't you subscribe to the JT. They will put a box on your wall and deliver every morning and it is cheaper over the year! T

Saturday, August 11, 2007  
Blogger MommaBean said...

Yeah, we get Al Rai. I couldn't justify the extra expense when I haven't been exited about it when I've bought it... Maybe one of these days :).

Sunday, August 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home