Saturday, February 16, 2008

is this legal?

I was in City Mall this morning and went to the delicatessen/cafe to have a look. Seemed very nice with tasty looking pastries so decided to buy a slice of apple pie which was priced JD1.500, quite expensive but thought I would try it out at home. The slice was wrapped and I gave my JD1.500 to then be told but that was not the price it was JD1.740 or something as the tax had not been added on. I was so annoyed - how can something be advertised at one price yet when you buy it, it suddenly is another price. Is this legal? T

6 Comments:

Blogger Maher said...

i dont know if it is legal or not!
but i know that most of the shops here do it!
IF not ALL of them!

Saturday, February 16, 2008  
Blogger Madi said...

It's illegal but since the prices has just increased and yet we don't know when it will be stabilised no one can blame them and they can steal us legally.

Today, I bought 20 piece of Falafel, GOD half JD for 20?

Saturday, February 16, 2008  
Blogger joladies said...

Every time I go to the states I forget that tax will be added to my purchase at the cashier. Often it is quite a lot more money than I was expecting to pay. Usually in Jordan you pay the amount posted or quoted, except for the rather recent service charge and sales tax in restaurants. As for 'legal' in Jordan now to add tax on when you purchase something - I don't know. ASH

Saturday, February 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I understand how you can be annoyed, but this is actually legal.

There's a difference between the price of an item, and what you pay for it.

The price of an item is what a seller wants to receive for it.

What you pay is the price of an item, plus a tax on the sale that goes to the government.

Saturday, February 16, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hamza's Right. It's sad, but it's legal

Saturday, February 16, 2008  
Blogger MommaBean said...

Being sadly American, I assume every price is without tax and it will be added later :).

Sunday, February 17, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home