Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Violence in the family

The physical abuse by husbands on their wives is something that is increasing here. I wonder why? Is it because actual abuse is increasing or is it because there is now a known way of reporting this type of abuse?

Women who are victims of abuse tend to blame themselves 'oh it was my fault the food was not on the table in time' or 'I didn't wake him up in time for work', 'I deserved it because I did not do what he wanted', and so on. It is NEVER right for a husband to beat his wife NEVER, NEVER, NEVER.

Unfortunately these kinds of cases are so difficult. We do have the Family Protection Department (police) with units round the country plus a shelter if the women need a safe place. If you need help for any family violence (where the offender is from within the family) or any sexual offences (whoever the offender is) please get in touch -

Family Protection Department
Call free on 111
5815738, 5815826, 5815846
email: familypd@accessme.com.jo familyp.dept@psd.gov.jo
website: www.familyprotection.psd.gov.jo
Irbid: 02 7022348
Zerka: 05 3982952
Balqa: 05 3533682
Madaba: 05 3246901
Aqaba: 03 2050317
Kerak: 03 2387069

T

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Increasing? I don't think so. I think it's drastically decreasing. As more people get more educated. But this needs to continue to improve. To the point where it could be eliminated completely.

Wednesday, March 25, 2009  
Blogger Unknown said...

I presume you are being sarcastic? I am basing my comments on official statistics. T

Wednesday, March 25, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I believe it's increasing and it will continue increasing until someone decide to stop it from its root. The physical abuse is the last straw that an angry man would throw but prior to that he will abuse her physiologically which is more damaging than the physical one and harder to cure.

Thursday, March 26, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not actually increasing as much as women now feel more confident to report such cases, even yooung kids now have the power to go and report any kind of abuse. I guess it counts as a success for all the efforts made in the past years to make the women know it's not right to do. we still have some women who believe that hitting is excused from a hasband.

Thursday, March 26, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home