Thursday, April 20, 2006

Spring means Green Almonds

Almond trees are among the first trees to bloom in Jordan. The small pinkish white flowers appear on bare branches some weeks before spring flowers and warmer weather arrive. Farmers don’t allow the almonds to ripen on the trees though; they pick them and sell them green for a nice profit. Jordanians delight in eating them raw with or without a little salt.

When I first saw the fuzzy looking green almonds on a dish, each one the size of a prune, I had to ask what they were. To me almonds are the delicious and addictive roasted, salted nuts. But green almonds to eat? The only time I ate one I found it so sour that my mouth rebelled and I had difficulty swallowing it. I was amazed that my children loved them immediately, as if they were part of their Arab birthright.

Before a kilo of green almonds disappeared my mother-in-law would keep several handfuls aside to cook with a pot of grape leaves. I still find that not all Jordanians know that green almonds scattered among the layers of stuffed grape leaves add sourness that makes a tasty dish absolutely exotic. And the cooked green almonds are delicious! But this dish is possible only in the spring.

My Jordanian family is always aware of the arrival of a specific fruit or vegetable in the market. The new arrival triggers a debate on whether or not it’s worth the price today, or should one wait a few more days. The eagerness to savor the remembered taste often overrides the expense. I found this excitement strange and unfamiliar, since I was raised in a large American city and never experienced closeness to the earth. Fruits and vegetables are necessary for good nutrition; I have little cultural or emotional attachment to them. It took me some years to realize that every time I hear a discussion about the price of fruits and vegetables newly in season, I am witnessing thinly concealed joy. Jordanians celebrate the arrival of each fruit with anticipation and gratitude. Green almonds in spring always remind me of a wholesome and enviable attitude that Jordanians have and I never learned. ASH

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

how interesting! I really enjoyed learning about the green almonds.

Friday, April 21, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yummy i love almonds!
Grama we can both eat almonds when you come to visit and watch movies and take pictures and ill take you to the mall or show you my friends because they have heard so much about you :] i think they're jealous that i have the most awesome grama ♥

Sunday, April 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home