Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Abundance of Water!

Good news to “J” and to my fellow bloggers!!!! According to today’s (June 20) Jordan Times, we are on our way to NO MORE WATER PROBLEMS! By 2020 Jordan is going to have an abundance of this precious stuff, so it looks like you can just continue to water away. Of course, there is nothing mentioned of what the total cost of this will be. First we are, by 2007 going to get water from the Zara-Maeen water treatment and desalination plant and in the following 13 years the Disi Water Conveyance Project along with the Red-Dead Project are also to be completed.

I guess that all of this is supposed to make us happy, even though this year we have a water deficit of 425mcm and we are still awaiting word from the Syrians as to whether they are going to give us the 15mcm that we have requested from them to meet this summer’s needs. We also continue to have 46% water loss from our antiquated and leaky pipes….but guess that that is an improvement over the 50% that we used to have. And another thing, we are supposed to be happy that the Disi Water system will provide Jordan for the coming 100 years. I suppose that I am showing my age since I am now able to personally recall nearly that many years myself through the stories of my parents and other relatives. One hundred years isn’t really that long, especially considering how ancient this land of ours is. Depleting the largest non-replenishable aquifer in the region is not a cheerful thought to me, even if it lasts 100 years!

What I think would be more helpful, particularly at this time of year, from our Ministry of Water would be articles warning us about water consumption and relaying messages as to how we can better conserve the precious bit that we have, not assuring us that we will have no more worries by 2020! Jordan is listed in the top 10 most water hungry countries of the world. Okay, by 2020, we might have an abundance…which at the rate of future consumption and growth I doubt, but at what cost both ecologically and monetarily?
KAG

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you beat me to it K! I could not believe my eyes when I saw the headline in the JT. As you said wish the Minister of Water would make people more aware of how they should use water and STOP all this ridiculous growing of grass and water thirsty plants and charge people with swimming pool lots of money (sorry friends!!!) T

Tuesday, June 20, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do ministers get elected in Jordan? Just kidding. Is that guy looking to be named Jordanian of the Year?

And no more water shortage. Yippie, that's just in time for my retirement to Jordan in 2045, they'll need 25 extra years.

Tuesday, June 20, 2006  
Blogger Huttonian said...

Hands off Disi I still say. Fossil water replaces itself after about a million years. That should see out the present government

Wednesday, June 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home