Sunday, September 17, 2006

It’s Worth a Try

I’m sure some readers noticed a few postings ago that J was searching to document a traffic jam. I wish she and her camera were with me yesterday evening. I got into bumper to bumper traffic around 6PM. It took me a half hour to get to Sports’ City Circle from the Ministry of the Interior Circle. Even the bridge coming from Jebel Hussein was backed up. There was no accident or vehicle breakdown that would have explained it; there were only two traffic policemen controlling the entrances to the Sports’ City Circle. The backup was terrific and people were honking their horns because of the unusually long wait. When I returned in the opposite direction two hours later, long after any conceivable rush hour, the traffic had still not eased. It made me wonder if this traffic jam wasn’t caused by the policemen themselves! Maybe the police should stay away from the circles. Possibly then Jordanian drivers would refresh their driving etiquette and whatever they learned about ‘right of way’ on the circles. Possibly traffic would move – albeit slowly at times – but at least move! Sorry J you missed some good photos.

ASH

2 Comments:

Blogger Reem said...

Well, I totally agree that policemen cause the traffic Jam,, Adding to that, in this particular case, it's the openeing of Mukhtar Mall that is making things worse, I live behind Safeway Shneesani and the jam is bad even around there!

Sunday, September 17, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

What a pity I missed it - but I was in a traffic jam of a different kind, complete with camera in hand - all the way over in Cairo - bumper to bumper is the norm ... and their rush hour lasts from 1 - 6pm....the head reels from the diesel fumes - it was so nice to touch down on Jordanian soil - the air was fresh even in Amman! J

Tuesday, September 19, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home