Friday, December 01, 2006

A List of World Betterments

Domestic violence, wars, and carnage in the region are issues that demand news coverage and action, but I’m always ready for a diversion from the big problems that I am helpless to change. Although the following is something that I am also unable to do anything about, it’s nice to dream a little.

My niece sent me the following article from Slate Magazine and suggested that I might reference it on our blog. She is curious about what I personally, plus the other joladies and commenters could add to the list of world-betterments!
website: http://www.slate.com/id/2153314/

I read it, and of course agree with all – that one million dollars isn’t much these days and won’t go far – but the idea is challenging. I would follow Nobel Laureate Muhammed Yunis’s fantastic idea and give ‘minuscule loans to the destitute.’ Only I would give small loans to rural women in Jordan. I know that there have been funds available in the past and may currently still be through various NGOs. Also from what I understand, the results have been phenomenal. The women repay their loans and have bettered their own lives and that of their families. So my million would be spent on loans to empower women economically. After all, a woman without money of her own is a slave. What would you add to the list of world betterments?

ASH

2 Comments:

Blogger joladies said...

I'd set up a trust fund along the lines of micro credit ... offering loans at 0.5-1.0% interest - for any project that just allowed people marginalised by society to define their own needs within their own cultural environment ...and one of the first on the list would be helping bedouin climbers in Wadi Rum set up a search and rescue unit and a training centre, something they have been wanting to do for years, followed by a language centre for the young women of Umm Sayhoon in Petra who just want to learn English. J

Sunday, December 03, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

... and then set up a refuge for women as T outlined in the previous post ... J

Sunday, December 03, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home