Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Weddings in Jordan

Who chooses what kind of wedding? Is it the bride and groom or the various parents? Or does society dictate? Whatever the income of the family do they go mad on what is spent?

Sitting at the hairdresser I picked up a magazine which I would normally not bother with (Living Well - Weddings). I know this magazine is directed at a certain type of reader - the rich! But it did leave me with a nasty taste in my mouth at the overt consumerism. I felt quite sick at the advertisements for diamonds, designer wedding dresses, honeymoons in exotic resorts etc etc. The whole magazine screamed greed to me. This is for a few hours which should be special but not focus on what is spent.

How many of you have spent hours bored to tears at yet another wedding where you cannot hear a thing except the pulsating music? I wish that a bit more emphasis was put on the marriage not the wedding but then, of course, that would not put money in the pockets of the jewellers, florists, clothes shops, hotels, hairdressers, DJs, photographers and so on. Not forgetting, of course, the magazines! T

3 Comments:

Blogger Dave said...

A friend of mine is getting married in a couple weeks. She and her fiance are arguing about where to go on the honeymoon. It all comes down to cost, as the wedding and house preparations are going to set the couple back by several years.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're among the very few that see through these extravagant lies! For the majority out there, it's the other way around. They're drawn to this hypnotic glamour and are willing to do do anything to get the so called "dream" wedding! Which is a complete waste of resources! On every possible level out there.
I'm glad to see more people are in your camp ... I hope more will follow

Tuesday, June 12, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Last year I also came across a 'Living Well' in which sunglasses were being advertised. They ranged from 30 JD to 600.....I was both sickened and shocked. I have just come in from a dinner party in which we were all 'old timers' and were speculating as to when it was that ostentation took over from low key and not flashing it about, even if you had the means to do so.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home