Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Making sense out of nonsense

I decided to water the plants on the veranda as they were looking how I was feeling, wilted from the weight of this callous world falling square on my being … when hubby walked in.
"Can you switch the hose off" says me and he bursts out laughing.
"What now!!" says me rather indignantly …
"Ha – you're talking like a true Arab now … would you rather I turn the tap off perhaps?"
And it took me a while for the penny to drop, as the last of the weekly rations of water fizzled away from the end of the hose. And as if that was not enough, both the iron and the dish washer exploded on my watch and the washing machine sprung a leak.

"I'll tell you what" says hubby …"when Turkey invades Israel," pause .... and it's my turn to burst out laughing …"we'll go on holiday to Cyprus".

"What? Why Turkey? That doesn't make sense?"

"Well, what does make sense: America invading Iran, or Gaza an independent Palestinian state?

"I'm not the only one who doesn't make sense in this crazy world," says hubby as we link arms and go inside for coffee. Arabic coffee that is, something that has come to symbolize a moment of realism in our house away from the maddening political crowd of all persuasions. J

2 Comments:

Blogger Ayman said...

You have a dishwasher?! LOL

I have to remind myself frequently these days not to grind my teeth (too hard) in reaction to news. The world has gone even madder, but somehow we manage to survive. Clearly having a great spouse who can make fun of irony in serious news helps!

Tuesday, October 09, 2007  
Blogger joladies said...

LOL too Ayman! Survive we do ... hanging on literally for our dear and precious lives ... As Mark Twain said "Against the assault of laughter nothing can stand". My co-conspirator in life has the wisdom to laugh in the face of it all and in the process rescues his demoralised spouse on a regular basis! Definitely better than regular visits to the dentist! J

Wednesday, October 10, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home