Sunday, May 04, 2008

To My Sister-in-law

She took my hand on the day I arrived and stayed close to me.
She introduced me to her family who were now my family.
She taught me her language and she practiced mine.
She helped me knit and sew for my babies.
She told me the stories of her tribal past.
She set an example by fulfilling her duties lovingly.
She laughed at the foibles of people but seldom at them.
She was patient, tolerant, and sensitive to my feelings even when she didn’t share them.
She worried about me, not her family when she heard the bombs explode across the Jordan Valley in 1967, because it was my first war.
She tired but seldom complained as the care giver to those in her charge – and they were many.
She always knew who she was and what needed to be done.
She took my hand and accepted me.

Dear Samia, knowing you has been a rare and exceptional gift.
May you rest in peace.

ASH

3 Comments:

Blogger MommaBean said...

What a lovely tribute, Ash. May God's peace be upon her.

Monday, May 05, 2008  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Condolences on this loss, ASH. I know how much this strong and giving woman meant to you. may she rest in peace, KS

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  
Blogger Findit Jordan! said...

She will always be with you and may you also be at peace. J xx

Tuesday, May 06, 2008  

Post a Comment

<< Home