Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Double Parked Cars

I am very frustrated about the increasing number of cars that double park on our streets. There seems to be a growing mentality of “my needs are more important than yours” and no consideration is given to others on the street. Of course I know that it is the job of the police to stop this but I also know that they are understaffed and overworked, so what can we, as citizens do to help them?

All of this led to a “light bulb” moment this morning as I passed 2 double parked cars on the street behind me. Why not help the police, and how best could this be done?

So, here is my “brain storm” solution, let’s photograph double parked cars, clearly showing their license plate numbers, and send these pictures to a site that the police specify. I then want each photographed, double parked car, to be given (at least) an immediate JD25 fine…..and then, let’s see how quickly this double parking phenomena ends.

I, for one, have my camera in my purse, or better yet, on the seat next to me….all prepared, so please join me in helping me help the police to solve this problem…..and I have an email address for you: trafficdept@psd.gov.jo
Karen

7 Comments:

Anonymous kinzi said...

Great idea!

Does it work for people who park in front of other people's driveways too?

Wednesday, May 06, 2009  
Blogger joladies said...

Just send anything you like to the email at the traffic dept - pictures, complaints etc. Also if anyone wishes to get more involved they can call the Public Relations at the Traffic Dept (sorry I don't have the number) and register as an assistant to the police. You then have to take 2 days of training and can then give tickets out to transgressing motorists. T

Wednesday, May 06, 2009  
Blogger Madi said...

T,
You should write a detailed blog post about registering as an assistant to the police, it's an awesome thing! Personally I would do that without hesitation.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009  
Blogger joladies said...

Jad - go to the PSD web site www.psd.gov.jo and have a look at the Traffic Dept and I am sure they will have the info there. They do not seem to have got their site in English yet so if you can get more info please blog it for us!!! T

Wednesday, May 06, 2009  
Blogger Madi said...

Maybe we should suggest that they fix the many technical issues on their website before going further with them.

I just checked it and I wish I didn't, they do have a serious encoding problem, Arabic text isn't visible there.

Wednesday, May 06, 2009  
Blogger MommaBean said...

Oooh, yu can write tickets! I'm so in! Teehee. And, i love your idea. I'll start snapping shots with my phone.

Thursday, May 07, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I want for my birthday is ticket-writing powers! Can we go for training as a group? I just paid about JD 250 to fix a crumpled bumper and scrapes incurred while trying to navigate the improperly parked cars in the Cozmo parking garage(cars outside the painted lines and in the path of traffic). While being careful not to hit one of these thoughtless owners' cars as I backed out of my spot, I didn't see the (invisible, white, no tape or painted lines on it) cement column behind me! Two store employees sat in the sun outside the garage door - apparently it's not their job to manage the inside of the garage which is full of old crates, junk, stinky water puddles and shopping carts left here and there by customers. It occured to me later that at least some of the people parking the cars outside the spaces were probably the store's own "valet parking" staff although I cannot prove this on the basis of seeing one of them park a car behind another one! KS

Monday, May 11, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home