Friday, April 21, 2006

Pluralism in the classroom

Since the day evil entered our lives on 9 November 2005, I have been troubled by an issue that I have been grappling with for the last fifteen years and no-one has yet to give me a definitive answer.

For years we hear about conferences, workshops, seminars, tackling the issues of human rights, promoting pluralism that we all aspire to, etc etc, and yet the hard work of these professionals and academics hardly ever filters down to its most effective layer of society - the classroom. And this brings me to 'my issue'.

Coming from a christian arab family, I was keen that my children also learn the values of their muslim neighbours. And yet in the classroom my children were withdrawn from the Islamic studies class and put into a christian studies class. I objected and asked that my children remain with their muslim friends in this particular class. The headteacher was a bit taken aback - "You are the only christian family that has ever asked that - are you sure about this?" came the reply. There was no doubt in my mind being a citizen of the Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan that it was my duty to expose my children to another religion other than their own - isn't that what pluralism is all about? And yet, fifteen years on this situation still exists - creating a division where none should exist.

My question is why?

Why is it so difficult to change a curriculum that is obviously flawed and can only harm the greater interests of this country? There has to be greater understanding between Muslim and Christian at the grassroots level, so that we may always be one step ahead of those whose twisted, criminal and evil sense of being in the guise of one religion or another never gains the upperhand.

I sincerely believe that pluralism in the classroom is a good starting point to bolster human security in our everyday lives - another mechanism for good governance.

J

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you ladies are jordanian to the bone marrow, like his majisty once said about his new bride, queen nur ,thank you, you makeall jordanians proud

Saturday, April 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

mum, the minute i read the title i knew it was you who wrote it. im very proud of you for presenting your views for the public to see and read. i think jordanians need moral support at this time, and as a foreigner reading how you feel about the situation might open other peoples eyes and make them realise we are all one and should stand together to form peace and unity. L

Sunday, April 23, 2006  
Blogger staghounds said...

The response of the school contains your answer. Most people don't want pluralism. Whei I came to Jordan I was struck by the way Jordanians, almost uniformly, seemed to want me to understand that everyone was welcome, everyone was respected, that members of every group were needed in Jordan's future.

And then a little later there would be "... but those (Palestinians, Bedouins, Circassians, etc., etc.)"

As long as we think of people as members of a group, we'll have this problem.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home