Saturday, April 29, 2006

Where Sheep May Safely Graze

Anyone who drives in Jordan, especially Amman, must concentrate completely. Occasionally, I am a passenger and it is only then that I can look at my surroundings. Yesterday was one of those days. There, in an empty lot near the Sixth Circle, I saw a flock of sheep grazing on the stubble of green that miraculously appears in the spring. I’m not talking about four or five animals; I’m talking about 30 sheep at least. How is it possible that in a city of over 2 million souls, one will find a flock of sheep next to shops and apartment buildings placidly grazing? How did they get to the Sixth Circle? Assuming that the shepherd trucked them into the city, why wouldn’t he buy animal feed with his resources instead? Absurd or quaint – I’m not sure which, but that is life in Amman. ASH

4 Comments:

Blogger Geri Henderson said...

I too have seen sheep, apparently safely grazing in unlikely places of congestion, habitation, and business,and with all due respect to Bach I'm sure the pastoral scene he envisioned didn't come close.

Just to let you know, I have been working since arrival here year before last, on my Jordan Journals, e-letters home that have now been picked up by a publisher. You will see the title on Amazon later this year.

Saturday, April 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually love seeing sheep grazing in those unlikely places, makes Amman really special..ofter wondered how they get to let's say Mecca Street or 7th circle!

Saturday, April 29, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to share my favorite "Sheep in the City" experience. Last spring, while driving through Shmeisani, I drove under a pedestrian bridge. A shepherd was taking his entire flock OVER that bridge and on to greener pastures! What a view!

Sunday, April 30, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sheep are one of those lovely cultural niceties that make living in Amman so special - glad you highlighted it.

Sunday, April 30, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home