Monday, October 16, 2006

Simple Pleasures

My Jordanian husband is excited about the approaching World Series competition. Since his days as a student in Detroit, he has been a loyal fan of all of Detroit’s teams and a bigger enthusiast than my entire family of native Detroiters. No matter the season he roots for each team in turn. The Red Wings and the Pistons (hockey and basketball respectively) generally compete well, but the poor Tigers and Lions (baseball and football) rarely make a good showing. But this year the Tigers will be playing in the World Series. I did some quick research on Google last night and discovered that baseball became America’s ‘favorite pastime’ around 1903 and The Detroit Tigers is one of the oldest teams. Although they contended a number of times for the pennant, they only won the World Series four times: 1935, 1945, 1968, and 1984. They must be due to win again.

When we settled in Jordan, there was no TV, and sports coverage on the radio and in the newspapers seldom included American sports, particularly baseball. Somehow my husband was able to keep up with his teams, and win or lose, he stood behind them. Now that TV satellites and internet make sports’ coverage easy, he will often stay up half the night to see a live game from the States. This year it looks like his support will be rewarded, the Detroit Tigers may be rewarded, and I will be rewarded - with a happy husband.

ASH

4 Comments:

Blogger Abu Shreek said...

Wow, how nice. A faithful Tigers fan??!! Their last winning season was at 1991. They were on a streak of 5 90+ losing seasons, including the (almost record setting 119)!

Yalla, Congratulations. They have a very legitimate shot at winning it all.
GAME 1: Saturday 10.30 a.m. Amman time.

Monday, October 16, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Abu Shreek....although many Michiganders might not cheer for the Lions, we live and die with the Red Winds and Stones....and often the Tigers. I can honestly say that I have never paid a single penny to watch the Lions. And when I do go to the game, it often b/c I like the opposing team. It has been way too long since the Lions did anything right....well except for host the last Super Bowl...to waste our energy cheering for them!

But the Tigers this year, what can I say. They have won so many games in the last couple innings this year.

I still have fond memories of attending games at old Tiger Stadium....and my very first game in 1984....the year they won it all. What a ballpark it was!! The nostalgia radiated from that place. WOW!! From the right field seats that overhang onto the field, the to crazy bleacher section where pretty much everything was allowed, to the bathrooms made for midgets, to the smell of hot dogs through the air...it will always be one of my favorite ballparks.

After losing their division, things weren't looking too good for the Tigers. But they quickly dispatched the mighty Yanks, with the A's right behind. It's now on to the W.S.!! It snowed in D-town last week, but hopefully the snow will stay away from Comerica Park for the series and there will be no "wind chill factor" during the games. ;-)

ASH, does your husband follow college football? And how does he feel about OSU? This year it could come down to 1 vs 2 in the nation....U of M vs Ohio State Nov. 18 I have tickets to the game, but it's down in Columbus this year...and as this rivalry brings out the very worst in people, I am genuinely afraid for my safety heading down there for the game. The tickets are for sale if anyone is interested.....$2500 each (price subject to substantial increases as game date approaches) :-)

Tuesday, October 17, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

Abu Shreek and Luai,
Thanks for your great comments on Detroit teams. I had no idea that the Tigers' losing seasons were so bad. My husband thanks you for telling him about Game 1 on Saturday morning.
The old Tigers stadium was called Briggs Stadium and I have no real memories of it other than walking miles after finding a parking place on some side street - remember my family weren't big sports' fans.
As for college football, my husband roots for Michigan teams only, MSU and UofM. He is such a loyal fellow! However, my son is a different generation and an Ohio State graduate!
ASH

Tuesday, October 17, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello!

I never thought about Mr. ASH and college football! Does my brother know he's a UofM fan? :)

Speaking of, the OSU/UofM game falls the weekend before Thanksgiving, which happens to be the weekend I'm in Ohio for work. I'm sure the latter is the reason that my brother is coming up to Ohio as opposed to for a little football game ;)

Regardless, we're going to have a nice pre-Tgiving and football game dinner on the Friday!

And thus ends my hello and first post on your blog!

Wednesday, October 18, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home