Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Moab Musing 2

I glanced over the coffee table at the light permeating the trees, the old stone buildings and the woman in a beautiful hand embroidered abayeh ambling down the road, lost in thought – and I wondered how she would fare in a world bent on destroying her Arabic culture and sense of identity. As if reading my thoughts my friend said:

"Look at nature" she said "take a tribe of highly intelligent elephants – very social in nature where the role of the mother is an all important one for she socializes the young. Kill the mother, and the tribe of elephants is broken, the young wander in endless circles of fear and depression acting out of character on the road to extinction".

I paused and remembered a passing comment I heard last year when talk of the World Bank and its antics entered the discussion. They were reviewing Jordan's labour laws and wanted to 'reform' women's rights particularly those affecting maternity leave …..ie to reduce it. And I saw a disturbing reality that has been weaving its evil ways undetected and foreign into the culture of my adopted homeland – 'divide and rule' whether political, social or cultural.

Jordan's labour laws have been under review for as long as I can remember. And yet, the World Bank were not concerned about what was going on in the QIZs, rather more about controlling an important part of the labour force: women – predominantly mothers - an important part of Arab culture. It may surprise you to know that the rights of Arab women today outflank those of American women that have been on the decline for many years; a point acknowledged by Elizabeth Fernea, prominent writer/film-maker of the 'Guest of the Sheikh' fame.

While Elizabeth is busy making films and writing about the Arab World she loves so much, I've come to the conclusion that I think too much. So I bade farewell to my friend, got in the car and drove home to find hubby doing some gardening. He smiled and said:

"Salamu alaikum from on high to down below, from one side to the other, but the best salam I wish you is inside your head – and that is guaranteed to happen if you laugh in the face of it all" …. J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home