Saturday, October 14, 2006

Saturday’s Newspaper

Since the Jordan Times doesn’t publish on Saturdays, I always buy an International Herald Tribune for that day. In case you don’t know this paper, it is an English language newspaper that began publication in Europe in the late 1960s. As a combination of the New York Times and Washington Post, it has a distinct American flavor, and I like it. I think it began in Paris but now it is published simultaneously in most major cities world wide.

For a long time Jordan relied on the Paris publication for its supply until a few years ago when Beirut began printing it. Israel’s attack on Lebanon this past July put a halt to that. Every Saturday I am sadly reminded of the destruction of Lebanon and my absent newspaper with a measure of shame at my own helplessness.

This morning, with no paper to read, I read an article by Robert Fisk about Israel’s attack on Lebanon. It’s called The Anatomy of a Massacre and you’ll find it at: www.informationclearinghouse.info/article15165.htm

Robert Fisk is a British journalist who writes for The Independent, and as far as I know, American papers don’t pick up his articles. They should, especially the International Herald Tribune! I wonder how ‘my paper’ dealt with Israel’s latest aggression and slaughter during the summer. I wonder if they even mentioned the fact that their Beirut press was out of commission due to Israel’s attack on Lebanon. I should try to find out. In the meantime, I have alleviated some of my helplessness by encouraging you to read this candid account of the dreadful events that happened in the Lebanese village of Marwahin last July.

ASH

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home