Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Jordan’s Hashemite Charity Organization

Although it has taken me a week to respond to Michael Jansen’s January 29 article in the Jordan Times, “Truth tellers and their stories,” I was filled with a sense of pride when I read the following.

UN Relief and Works Agency Commissioner General Karen Koning AbuZayd, while discussing in-kind donations going into Gaza, stated: "Everybody is full of praise for the Hashemite Charity Organization. Their donations are just first class. They look at our lists. They give us what we have on our lists. Everything they give is new, good, usable. It's just excellent. We get a lot of things in and we have to choose because there is not enough space to bring in all the trucks [at the same time] so we bring theirs in first because we know their trucks are the best laden."

Wow, what a validation for Jordan, the Jordan Charity Organization, the people who run the organization and to the Jordanian population that support it.
Karen

4 Comments:

Blogger MommaBean said...

That is an awesome validation. It's good to know that the organizations here are supporting in the right ways and are valued for doing so...

Wednesday, February 04, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is just great news!!! Especially when so many of us moan about things being done half-way in this part of the world, to see this specific outreach for a very important need be an example.

I read on AP yesterday that Hamas folks are stealing blankets and food parcels from the UN warehouse. I am wondering why there are no armed guards there?

How can we take this up with people like Karen Abu Zayd at the UN to make sure the goods are getting in the hands of the unconnected and innocent?

Thursday, February 05, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(This is continuation of comment left several hours ago by Newcomer)
Dear Jordan Journals, I wanted to add to the description of the misunderstanding I had at the hotel desk registration with the Jordanian woman and the Jordanian receptionist: the woman had started to complain about me to the gentleman using the English word "descrimination," mixed in with the Arabic conversation. I guess this means she thought I was descriminating against her--but how could she think that? How could she jump to such long conclusions when she did not know my background, personality, religion, education, etc.? She never realized I had been standing there waiting 15 minutes already, but I was in no rush, as I suppose she was in. I really feel very upset about it. Any advice you have is appreciated. Newcomer.

Thursday, February 05, 2009  
Blogger joladies said...

Hi Anonymous .... not sure what your first comment was all about as I can't find it, but if you feel that upset I would suggest you write to the manager of the hotel in question ...say your thoughts and then put it behind you ... so much more interesting things going on in Jordan than a few disgruntled employees! J

Thursday, February 12, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home