Monday, June 08, 2009

A whopping OOOps




Ever since this accident happened a few weeks ago, in the vicinity of the 6th circle, Amman, I have been wondering about the mental health of the crane driver who was treated in hospital for shock.... I wonder if he will ever work again?



When you study the photos, you realise it was a miracle no-one was killed.



The task of recovering that crane is going to be a huge feat of engineering ....and a dangerous one at that considering it's on the 44th floor, the highest building in Jordan that can even be viewed from Jerusalem on a clear day I have been told ....

I would not like to live under nor around this project; a project that seems to have been doomed with failure ever since the previous Municipal council sold off the land that used to be a public park!

Why oh why do we not see the value of public space, or cultural/urban heritage for that matter when 'investment' rears its ugly head?

... doh don't get me started .... think I need a good dose of yoga to caste out those demonic thoughts!
J

5 Comments:

Blogger Ali said...

Ever since this project started lot's of accidents happen, If my memory doesn't fail me, I remember a whole floor fell on the workers and a a couple of them died and the project was closed for weeks to investigate the incident, And now this crane, What's next ?, The whole tower falls ?

Monday, June 08, 2009  
Anonymous Qwaider قويدر said...

I remember 3 friends and their families who bought land and built villas and houses there BECAUSE there was a park there. I remember spending hours in my friend's balcony overlooking the modest part and feeling, wow, this is pretty calm and secluded from the bustle of middle swaifeih and Um Uthaina although we're 2 minutes’ walk away.
Now, I'm told, it's impossible to live in that neighborhood anymore! It's sad to see your memories bulldozed away like that.

Monday, June 08, 2009  
Anonymous Ali MetalHead said...

I used to live in Jabal Amman 3rd circle, The place was amazing for living but a couple of companies build there head quarters there, Since then it was impossible to even sleep.

I think this problem is spreading everywhere in Amman now, Peaceful places to live at in amman are rare now.

Tuesday, June 09, 2009  
Blogger joladies said...

Quite agree with you Ali .... the price we pay for change! Have you checked out the 'Creative Jordan' website?

Qwaider .... it is very sad, considering the land in question was donated to the State by the people who actually lived in the area to be used as a public park! There should be a law to protect land gifted to the state for the public good .... but as I keep saying when investment rears its ugly head .... the greater good is limited to the distance between the investment and the nearest bank!

J

Tuesday, June 09, 2009  
Anonymous Jane M said...

I know that Jordan has to grow & advance but at what price?
Following on the heels of J's comments concerning public green space etc, it was only yesterday that I was walking near my house in West Amman that I stopped atop a hill & looked around at the relatively open space & wondered how long it would be before that was filled with ugly concrete construction!
Even in the heart of London you can escape to a park, large or small, they are practically around every corner. If the Victorians could be so forward thinking, why can't the Jordanians?

Jane

Wednesday, June 10, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home