Sunday, September 10, 2006

indicators please

I am posting the following for a frustrated friend. I agree with her sentiments. T



Am I the only person in this beloved country who uses the indicator when driving! What has the population got against telling other drivers where they are going?I risk my life daily trying to pull out onto the airport road from Deir Ghbar where the oncoming traffic can branch left just in front of me and it would save many anxious moments if the drivers would just let me know that they were exiting in front of me! What is the reason? Presumably every student is taught to indicate before their exam, but then it appears to be completely forgotten! Is it a macho thing, pure laziness or a will to die and take someone with them! Any answers gratefully received from a long term driver about to resort to road rage!

6 Comments:

Blogger Rami said...

when in rome, do as the romans do..

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Blogger ABOUD said...

It is part of the Jordanian ego, just like not using the sidewalk.

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

I think that not using the sidewalk is for practical considerations - impossible to walk with low hanging trees planted in the middle of them. T

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is so insame, is it not? Yesterday, I slowed down to turn left WITH the indicator on, and the guy behind me roared to pass as I was turning. Screeching of breaks, and he is gesturing as I was the insane one.

I think no man in Jordan under 30 or over 60 should be allowed to drive. Period. In fact, lets ban male drivers altogether. The streets would be safer and less crowded.

To your friend I say...don't back down. Drive with integrity, follow the rules of the road...and start a blog with snapshots of the license plates and cars who pull this junk so they get get the ticket they deserve.

Monday, September 11, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

I think you miss the point Rami. This is not about culture and fitting into a different way of life. This is about safety on the roads and general principles of good and safe driving. We all want to arrive at our destinations in one piece!!! T

Tuesday, September 12, 2006  
Blogger Rami said...

I know, i was being cynical... you know.

A british expat in jordan, also a friend, was infuriated by drivers everytime he goes out. He wanted to buy the safest car possible as he was expecting a baby. Several months later, he told me that he is starting to learn the tricks and moves.. you know.. there should be a 'driving in jordan for dummies' book.

Friday, September 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home