Thursday, October 19, 2006

religious symbols

Whilst in UK the subject of women wearing the niqab hit the headlines. I found it absolutely amazing that a few women wearing this veil should be viewed as a threat to community relations and the integration of people from different backgrounds and culture. The popular media just hyped it all up to make it look as if the country was going to be overwhelmed by women dressed with this covering.

Personally I do not like to see women dress in this way as I find it quite intimidating, but if they wish to do so it is their right, but they have to be ready to accept that employers have rights too. If I were living in the UK I would certainly not wish my child to be educated by a covered woman and the school that sacked the teacher wearing the niqab was perfectly within their rights. I wonder if she wore the niqab when she was interviewed?

As for the British Airways woman suspended for wearing a cross, that is another media hype. BA has a rule that employees are not allowed to wear necklaces, bracelets, rings (apart from wedding and engagement rings) etc outside their uniforms. A BBC newscaster has been allowed to wear her cross after much discussion.

So, should we all wear what we want? I don't think so, but it is not something that can be legislated. T

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am I not right in thinking that covering the face is entirely a case of personal preference and not required by religion ? I was under impression that during the Haj a woman must leave her face uncovered ?

Monday, October 23, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

anonymous - you may be interested in a recent article in The Guardian newspaper of 26 October 2006 written by Karen Armstrong entitled "My Years in a Habit taught me the paradox of veiling" - hope you find some answers within it. J

Sunday, November 05, 2006  
Blogger joladies said...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/beliefs/hijab_2.shtml

the above is also an informative site that might clarify the issue. J

Sunday, November 05, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home