Monday, June 25, 2007

Paint Balls in Gilead

I think children have always loved to play war games. I’m sure I spent more hours playing them with my brothers than I spent in Sunday school. Both the games and the Sunday School lessons are vague memories now, but once in a while something will happen that will trigger a recall. This happened last Saturday when I attended my grandson’s birthday party in Jal’ad at the Paint Ball place.

I have been to Jal’ad several times and knew that this area is known as “the land of Gilead.” Historically this large mountainous area in the northwestern part of Jordan was fought over, lived in, and ruled by different ancient tribes. The detailed references to it in the Bible are in the books of Genesis, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. The name ‘Gilead’ I remember from my Sunday school days; I must confess that the other details are courtesy of google.

As for the Paint Ball place – this is a wonderful 10 dunums of land arranged for war games. My grandson and his 11 guests suited up and donned face protectors. Armed with large rifles containing pellets of paint balls they divided into two teams to run around and shoot each other. They were timed, supervised, and had amazing fun. I know they will relive the details for a long time. An ancient game played in an ancient land with modern equipment that was imported, improvised, and managed by an innovative entrepreneur.

ASH

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ash, my son loved this last year, especially when a bunch of dads/sons played.

Someone told me it was in hills like those, and could even be those hills, where Absolom the son of King David got his wild hair caught in a low oak tree. Jordan is a great place to live.

Monday, June 25, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention I am tagging all married bloggers to write about the celebration of marriage, and tips on how to keep your marriage strong, as a wedding gift to all the young bloggers who will be tying the know soon.

I'm sure that you all could write a book on the topic!

Monday, June 25, 2007  
Blogger Christina said...

You got tagged! Too funny - I'm not sure I would have known what that is much more than a year or two ago. I haven't taken this quiz yet, but I saw it in my RSS reader and definitely thought of it when I saw my auntie was getting tagged in her blog! :)

Wednesday, June 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home