Saturday, December 15, 2007

Retiring Rudolph




Many years ago a friend gave me a wooden reindeer made by her father who was a cabinet-maker. I call the reindeer Rudolph and assemble him a week or two before I put up our Christmas tree. He stands about 20 inches tall, has a red nose, a bell around his neck, and his body is an open box to hold Christmas cards. I place him on the living floor, and when my children, and later my grandchildren, see Rudolph, they know that the Holiday Season has officially begun in our house at least.

For the past few years the number of Christmas cards we received dwindled. Since the beginning of December, I have been getting humorous and musical Christmas cards by email. Many others are newsy letters detailing family happenings of the sender which I always enjoy. All are welcome, thoughtful, and appreciated because they allow us to stay in touch with one another.

This year Rudolph’s belly is empty. Of course, there is still time for some mail to arrive, but I don’t think that much will. It is finally obvious to me that the method of sending season’s greetings has changed to the detriment of Hallmark and other producers of greeting cards not to mention the post office. Anyway, time has ravaged Rudolph somewhat. The screw that attaches his brown wooden head to his body is loose and occasionally his head flips down and hits the floor chipping a little more wood off his antlers. I will need to retire him soon – maybe after this season. I’m not really sure how I feel about electronic greetings replacing the old-fashioned nostalgic, artistic, and glittering cards. I will have to get used to it, and I will.

Happy Holidays to all who visit Jordan Journals.

ASH

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no grama, don't retire rudolf! I love that thing. Maybe you can fill up with Candy??? Oh, I'm just kidding. i agree, i prefer the old fashioned thing because you can't delete the card in a click of a button, to throw away takes more effort. Anyway, keep that thing up! much love, rawan

Sunday, December 16, 2007  
Blogger MommaBean said...

It does seem that Christmas has lost a little something with the advent (no pun intended) of e-greetings. But, I do enjoy the fact that those in the US can send me cards that won't take 4 months to arrive (ask me about the Valentine's day card I got in July!). So, I am of two minds. Personally, I stopped sending real cards five or so years agoa dn replaced it with an on-line newsletter full of pictures and tidbits... It will be sad to retire Rudolph though. I'd imagine you could fill his blly with something else (maybe something yummy?).

A Most Blessed Holiday to each of the fabulous Jo Ladies from the whole Bean family!

Tuesday, December 18, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home