Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Our ambulance services

By chance I got involved in the aftermath of an accident in Madaba where a young woman was injured by a car. An ambulance was called from the Civil Defence and when it arrived at the scene the paramedics did not follow their protocols. They picked up the victim without a stretcher and neck brace and failed to do what they should have. She was taken to Madaba hospital and then transferred by a Ministry of Health ambulance to a private hospital in Amman. This ambulance was not equipped with the necessary kit nor did a doctor from the hospital accompany her. Thank heavens she survived the ordeal and is now home.

Luckily I know the officer in the Civil Defence in charge of ambulance service and training and I called him. He was totally mortified and told me that the CD ambulances are equipped to a very high standard and the paramedics are all well trained. He has done a marvellous job of follow up and the team has been punished and he has apologised to the family for the shortcomings that evening. As for the MOH ambulances (who transfer patients from hospital to hospital) I understand their equipment is extremely poor and their standards low.

Has anyone else had experiences with the ambulance services that they can relate? The officer in the Civil Defence is ready to listen to any complaints, praise and suggestions. T

4 Comments:

Anonymous Jane M said...

My son has recently completed a first aid course run by the CD dept & was most impressed by their standards (and he's hard to please & impress!) so this shouldn't be happening. The CD should have the same high standards throughout the country but it's gratifying to know that somethething was done about it once it was brought to the departments attention...thanks T.
Whilst on the subject, I really feel that all senior school children should been given basic first aid skills. More often than not it's a member of the public who's going to come to the aid of a victim & they should know what to do & more importantly what NOT to do before the professionals get there!

Jane

Wednesday, June 10, 2009  
Blogger Madi said...

We didn't have to use them for the last 15 year but I remember calling CD many times for my grandmother and even at that time, 15 years ago they were way better than any private hospital emergency services so I'd like to believe what happened in Madaba is an exception.

Thursday, June 11, 2009  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually have been to one of their stations and I have seen the equipments that they use, they're pretty well indeed. However, you can't deny that this can be mostly due to human irresponsibility from the side of those people, I really think that they do a great job, although I was shocked later on to know that they don't get patients to outside the borders of the Governorate, I used to advise my patients to call the ambulance immediately when they needed a quick transfer to the hospital, but then I realized that this only works for people living in Amman Only.

Thursday, June 11, 2009  
Blogger Madi said...

Oh right, I remember now that I had to use them when my friend got panic attack while biking around Wasfi al-tal (behind baqaa) and they were so amazingly fast and amazingly professional.

This post touched the memory and now I can remember how Malhas Hospital emergency service men used to complain about our 120 step (old Jabal amman house) while the CD did it with big fat smile.

Maybe I should do memory de-fagmentation and write a post about CD myself as I have had good experience with them.

Thursday, June 11, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home