Sunday, October 22, 2006

Buyer Beware

The market in Jordan has traditionally been one of ‘Buyer Beware.’ By this I mean there were few restraints on vendors to guarantee quality of the products they sold, and little recourse for the buyer if he found his purchase unsatisfactory. Of course this is changing, but one thing has not changed – the customer will not get his MONEY refunded.

About 10 days ago I bought an expensive coffee maker. After four days it wouldn’t work so I returned it to the shop. The man was most pleasant and offered to repair the machine, but after a few days he told me that the machine was faulty from the manufacturer and offered me a replacement. This shop stocked only one brand of coffee maker, but several models. By now I had lost confidence in the manufacturer and would have preferred to get my money back so I could buy a different brand. I chose a different model that was cheaper, and again there was no question about returning the difference to me in cash, so I bought two other items that I could use. Given the tremendous increase in products available in an ever expanding and competitive market, why is it still impossible to ‘get your money back?’

ASH

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Simply because it's Jordan, no Wal-Mart’s or any other powerful chain store that won't risk customer’s satisfaction and loyalty under any condition even losing money.

Sunday, October 22, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have no idea how many times have I thought of such a thing, yet our mintality doesn't understand the idea of refunds. I believe that if such an idea will be introduced many people will abuse it. Just think of it... How many times did you hear about Arabs in foreign countries abusing the system?
I believe we're better off this way although I would like us to get more civilized but somethings need time to be implemented.

Monday, October 23, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home