Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Let Earth Receive Her King!

This Christmas day I thought it would be appropriate to recount this story I found in my father’s memoirs of Oman:

One day Mr. James Cantine, the Mission Padre at the time, said to Sir Percy Cox (British diplomat 1864-1937 who served in Oman for a time as the Sultan's advisor), “Why is it, Percy, that your government would appoint you to Muscat --- the end of the world --- when you are so knowledgeable and experienced in world affairs and diplomacy?” “Well,” said Percy Cox, “it is this way, Jim. You see, I serve the King and where he sends me I go.”

A couple of months later Sir Percy dropped in on Mr. Cantine who was in his office pouring over some Hebrew texts, and Sir Percy said to Mr. Cantine, “Jim, how is it that your Mission Board appoints you to Muscat --- the end of the world --- when you are such a student and could teach at any university?” Mr. Cantine paused a bit and then said, “Well, Percy, it is this way. You see, I serve the King of Kings and where he sends me I go.” ..........z

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was both clever and lovely. An excellent reminder to serve an audience of One, and not the many mini-masters that clamor for my allegiance. :D

Tuesday, December 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home